We understand how difficult it can be to organise, access and prioritise training in early years. Whilst we offer apprenticeships (see below) for you to ‘grow your own’ staff in a very cost effective way, we also offer a number of other routes to helping you through the maze of mandatory or best practice training and development opportunities. These often feature as statutory requirements or are seen to support Good or Outstanding inspection outcomes.
Our team is unique. We have all been managers of pre-schools or nurseries, have built settings from scratch or bought settings which were struggling, have worked alongside inspection regulators and have childminding expertise. We really can help with whatever perspective, priority, budget or dilemma you have. Just ask! Call Lauren on 01403 786620, who will arrange for us to come and meet you or arrange a telephone call if you prefer. Alternatively, have a look at our short courses and book directly if the course you want is there – but if it isn’t, contact us and we’ll endeavour to deliver whatever training you need.
Ofsted Ready: Inspection and Regulation Support
One of our most exciting training and development packages involves us coming our to your setting(s) and completing a quality audit using the Ofsted inspection evaluation criteria. Over the course of a day (a childminder visit would be less than a full day), we conduct an audit which includes:
- observing practice – looking at how children play and what they learn from activities, interaction with others, the resources and the environment (inside and outside). This will include reviewing specific children’s recorded observations, assessments, progress checks, SEND support and seeing how the setting meets every child’s individual learning needs
- talking to practitioners about their practice and their understanding of what they are doing and why
- assessing how effective learning is for children and review the evidence to support this from their first day onwards
- evaluating how well the team/childminder understands their statutory duties and how well they deliver the Early Years Foundation Stage – this includes reviewing policies, procedures, training/development/supervision/personnel records and supporting information to ensure the setting is meeting its statutory requirements
- meeting with the senior team/childminder to understand their view of their strengths and weaknesses to ascertain if practice is reflective, assessment is accurate and if areas of focus will benefit the children
The setting will receive a report within 48 hours, summarising the above in the context of their overall effectiveness.
This audit is a very useful way to evidence your commitment to reflective practice and gives you an insight as to how the quality of your service is perceived by an external expert. We offer complete confidentiality and you are free to use and share the audit information as you choose. On from receiving the report, we can work with you to address any recommendations, build on site training and development if required or support you in a number of other ways (for example through 1:1 coaching, HR support, mentorship, network support etc).
The cost of the audit for a childminder is £200, for a nursery or pre-school of less than 50 places is £350 and for settings up to 100 places is £450.
Any training or development undertaken with Brighter Horizons in the 12 months following the audit will attract a 10% discount (terms and conditions apply) which is why this package is very popular!
What happens next?
If you would like more information about an audit or any other training and development opportunities for your staff, please contact Lauren Reddin on 01403 786620 or email: email@example.com
An Apprenticeship is a work-based learning programme and is accredited by CACHE (Council for Awards in Children’s Care and Education). An apprentice trains ‘on the job’ whilst gaining essential skills, recognised qualifications and a salary. You can train both your existing staff and any new employees you are thinking of recruiting. We can also help you to find an apprentice to join your team.
Why choose Brighter Horizons for apprenticeship training?*
We understand your needs because we work IN early years! Above all, we want to support you to help develop an apprentice so that they add value to your team right from the outset – helping to shape them to become someone you want to keep in your team, someone who may be an aspiring practitioner/leader of the future!
Throughout the Apprenticeship you will be supported and guided by a member of our staff and will have the support of the Brighter Horizons training centre. We will work with you to:
- Recruit an apprentice or support your existing staff onto the Apprenticeship scheme
- Find you the right apprentice (we have a number of pre-screened candidates on our system). All you have to do is interview them to make sure they are the right fit for your team – saving you time and money
- Plan and design training programmes to meet your needs and the individuals – this extends to offering you discounted training through Brighter Horizons for all your team (including courses on Paediatric First Aid, Safeguarding, SEN, Preparing for your inspection, and Enhancing communication skills (which includes basic Makaton) for example)
- Provide training to support learning that takes place in the workplace
- Monitor apprentice progress and provide help and support
- Ensure quality standards are met
*Our apprenticeship training starts in September 2019